Saturday 7 January 2012

2012.

New Year's Eve 2011
Pottering around the bedroom whilst I brace myself for the night's festivities, I begin to ponder New Year's resolutions and the kind of things I'd like 2012 to bring. I struggle with many; food is far from my worst enemy, I have no real vices to name, I've just managed a promotion and I seem to have everything I need. It's amazing just how depressed being comfortable can make you feel. Of course, there's always the idea of moving to my own place with Adam, away from these soul destroying houseshares that have been part of my life for the past five years - it's going to be a long year, why not aim high?

New Year's Day 2012
Stretched lifelessly across the bed, head buried deep beneath the stack of pillows, Adam's distant ramblings are lost amongst the persistant buzzing - an unwanted reminder from the night before.

"So what shall we do with the year?"

I groan. Small talk is my worst enemy, especially first thing after a night of heavy intoxication.

"Skydive? Learn to unicycle? Come third on X-Factor?"

"What about moving in together?"

I laugh, purely to give myself a few seconds to construct a witty response. He's a persistant chappy, I'll give him that much.

"Sure. You find a house, furnish it and I'm there!"

A minute's silence follows but I can tell his hopes are already sky high - I can feel the childish glee radiating from across the bed.

"You can grab me a cup of tea first though..."

Wednesday 4th January 2012
Despite my earlier joy at finally dispelling the post-Christmas boredom, the first day back at work is slow. I sit staring at my computer screen, half glancing past the monitor at my colleagues busying themselves with the daily trappings of office life. My phone rings, hurling me from deep thought. For a few seconds, I actually have to remember how to answer it.

"Are you able to come outside?"

It's Adam. I can't say it's much of a surprise, he often calls with thoughts on what to have for dinner, how many cars angered him on his way to work and other such tales of woe.

"Urm, I guess so. Why?"

Uncomfortable laugh.

"Well I have something you need to sign"

"Sign? Like what?"

Uncomfortable silence.

"For a house. Like you said ...."

Stomach drops.

"It's been three days!"

1 comment:

  1. Haha! He was super excited, wasn't he? Congrats Wayne! =D

    ReplyDelete