Sunday 24 July 2011

Amy Winehouse.


On the 23rd July 2011, yet another huge talent was taken from the world in the form of Amy Winehouse.

Like most people, I can't say that I was genuinely shocked by the news, however it did hit me a lot harder than I ever thought it would - she was so hugely influential both in terms of style and the revival of British music that it's hard to comprehend that she's no longer here.

I can still remember the Christmas when, as a young teenager, her debut album was plastered all over the television here in England. I can still remember my Father commenting on how unusual it was for an artist of that particular genre to be featured on mainstream TV. I can still remember rushing out to HMV and buying a copy of 'Frank' as part of his Christmas present that year.

I wouldn't say that she was on my list of favourite artists but that is more to do with differing musical tastes rather than lack of appreciation. Her voice was phenomenal and the way in which she performed was nothing short of effortless - something which many began to forget towards the end as the surrounding media circus began to eclipse her talent.

If ever a study was needed as to the effects of fame on a troubled human being, you need look no further than Amy Winehouse.

Drug addiction has a terrible stigma attached to it and society needs to wake up and realise that the age old attitude of 'they've made their bed, they should lie in it' is not the answer. It is an illness that takes countless lives from the world year upon year and the worst part is that it really doesn't need to happen.

We are all human and only as strong as we think we are. Turning a blind-eye is not the way forward - with a bit of help and understanding, this tragic loss of life can easily be avoided.

It's just a shame that it takes such a high profile death such as Amy's for people to even begin listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment