Wednesday 20 July 2011

The Fez & Moomin show.

On the 13th June, after months of reading about ferrets and pining after a pet, these little guys entered my life.


The grey coloured one is Fez and the white albino is Moomin. You'd never realise from their names that they are both girls but what can I say, I'm stubborn once I have an idea in my head.

A lady at work (Caroline) mentioned a while back that her daughter was looking to get a couple of baby ferrets to replace one that had just passed away so I told her to let me know if she managed to find any for sale. It turned out that she remembered so one Monday night, I dragged Adam over to some thug's house on the outskirts of the city and bought the little critters.

I'm not going to lie - they are an absolute nightmare. The phrase 'little monsters' really doesn't cut it but that aside, they really are the cutest, goofiest animals that you could ever wish to come across. No matter how awful my day at work has been, seeing Fez and Moomin bouncing around the room and sliding along skirting boards always makes me smile. I'd just love to know where they get all their energy from.

Initially, I kept them indoors as it seemed just plain cruel to keep such tiny little animals outside but that lasted just two weeks. Plenty of people had warned me about how much ferrets can smell and they definitely weren't wrong. It isn't an awful smell - it is kind of sweet and earthy (nowhere near as bad as wet dog) but it wasn't something that I wanted lingering around the room in which I sleep. Needless to say, they are now outside - in a hutch that rivals most manor houses.

After reading a few horror stories regarding neutering ferrets too early, I've decided to wait until at least October before I take them to the vets. Having said that, judging by just how crazy and mollycoddling ferret owners appear to be on the forums, I'm going to take most of what I read with a pinch of salt. After all, they were originally bred in the darkest depths of North Yorkshire for rabbit hunting - I'm sure they're pretty tough little beasts.





No comments:

Post a Comment